Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Repairs I have done so far

Over the years, I have taken wrench in hand many times. Here is a list of the repairs I've done myself on the Alero.

Change oil & filter
Rotate tires
Remove & clean interior seats and trim
Install an iPod input
Change brake rotors & pads all around
Flush brake fluid
Change thermostat
Change spark plugs
Bleed cooling system of air
Change out front wheel bearing
Change out front & rear struts

Some folks will say that doesn't sound like much. Indeed, in the old days these repairs were common.

Yet today it's unusual for a car owner to perform jobs like this. Most of the time jobs like changing wheel bearings and struts are handled by the local mechanic.

I, however, can't stomach paying nearly $900 for a wheel bearing job when I can do it for $120. (Sure, there were differences in parts with that estimate. He wanted to use a Delco OEM replacement, while I was perfectly happy with NAPA brand. The Alero chewed through a Delco bearing in 40k miles anyway.)

No comments: